Want to know The Truth About CPM?

18 June 2015

KScope15 – the everything else EPM sessions I want to attend and live blogging

More to life than this

Hah!  For a moment you thought I was the Great and Good John Goodwin, didn’t you?  Well, a massively less intelligent manifestation of John.  Double Hah!  You’re wrong, it’s just yr. obt. svt., alas, but I couldn’t let the opportunity pass by.

What I mean to say is that there is more to life than Essbase and Planning as hard as that may be to believe but it’s true, I promise you.  And in that vein, here are the other EPM sessions at Kscope I hope to attend.  

Live blogging you to death

Or is that boring you to death?  You decide.  It may be a bit delayed as it is a bit of a busy week, but I’ll do my best to keep you informed with daily posts.  Of course those of you who will be at KScope will do your best to point out how wrong I undoubtedly am but that’s part of the fun.

And tweeting you to death.  In case you’re not a Twitter follower of me I’m on @CameronLackpour.  I’ll actually be doing as much if not more updating via Twitter as I can easily do it from my phone.

And with that digression, here are my hoped-for sessions by day for reporting and infrastructure/data.

EPM Reporting

Monday

Introduction to Enterprise Performance Reporting Cloud Service

Dave Roberts , Oracle Corporation
When: Jun 22, 2015, Session 2, 9:45 am - 10:45 am
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Other EPM Reporting
Cloud, cloud, cloud, cloud, and did I mention cloud?  OPRCS isn’t exactly FR in the cloud, it’s more like a collaborative report writing and review tool.  I think of it more as a workflow based approach to understanding numbers.  Or perhaps I have it all completely wrong.  Attending this session should end that uncertainty.

Dynamic Hyperion Financial Reports

Celvin Kattookaran , Huron Consulting Group
When: Jun 22, 2015, Session 3, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Financial Reporting
Again my alas younger, quite likely smarter, and undoubtedly better looking brother from a completely different set of parents has interesting  content.  This time he has somehow tortured enhanced Financial Reports to actually be dynamic.  I’ll try not to think of the inflexible reports I’ve built in years past and after watching this, vow to never do it again.

Smart View Reporting on Essbase

Rudy Zucca , 123OLAP
When: Jun 22, 2015, HOT- EPM 2, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Other EPM Reporting
Rudy is another highly skilled instructor.  Many customers (and a few bitter ender consultants) haven’t made the switch to Smart View.  Time to do so.
EPM Foundations and Data Management

Smart View Power Tools: Break New Analytical Ground with Smart Query

Ron Moore , TopDown Consulting
When: Jun 22, 2015, Session 4, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Smart View
I have seen Smart Query at a client exactly zero times although I have presented on it at conferences.  It’s actually a pretty cool piece of functionality that seems to have a poor adoption rate mostly because people don’t even know of its existence.  Ron is a talented presenter and instructor (in Ron’s previous life, I took an ASO class from him in his Wall Street office) and I’m sure he’ll make this a tool we’ll all want to use.

Tuesday

Smart View: Improving Upgrades/Migrations, Rollouts, and Reliability.

Charles Beyer , Huron Consulting Group
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 7, 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Smart View
I have not the slightest regret that deployments like this are not in my bailiwick.  Having completely ducked that one through the serial infrastructure incompetence that I am well known for, it probably would behoove me to at least hear how the seemingly impossible is made possible.

Power On!: How GE Lit Up Smart View and Brought Good Things to Life for Its Users

Gary Adashek , General Electric
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 8, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Smart View
Smart View.  Thousands of users. Improvements to Smart View.  Eeek.  I wonder how Gary did it; it ought to be interesting to see how.

Smart View with OBIEE

Matt Milella , Oracle Corporation
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 9, 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Other EPM Reporting
Smart View, Smart View, Smart View; everything’s Smart View.  Matt, the former Smart View (How many times can I use the product name in a paragraph?  Count along with me.) product manager is now Mr. Business Intelligence.  Matt’s sessions are without fail always interesting and innovative.  I’m curious to see how Smart View interacts with OBIEE.  And for those of you not counting, that’s six.

Wednesday

Relaxed Reporting: Tips and Tricks on Building Dynamic Financial Reports
Joe Monteith , The Bean Consulting Group
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 12, 9:45 am - 10:45 am
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Financial Reporting
Another dynamic Financial Reports session.  How wrong have I been?  How long have I been wrong?  How does he do it?  I’ll be there to find out.

Become Jythonic: Delivering Jython Best Practices for FDMEE Scripts

Francisco Amores , Infratects
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 12, 9:45 am - 10:45 am
Topic: EPM Foundations and Data Management - Subtopic: Data management/integration
How I wish, wish, wish I could write decent Jython.  Wish.  Francisco is a great guy and perhaps from him I could actually be something other than a total Jython hack.

The New Mobile Frontier: Hyperion & Oracle Business Intelligence

Edward Roske , interRel Consulting
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 13, 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
Topic: EPM Reporting - Subtopic: Integrated EPM-BI Reporting
I’ve long been skeptical of the actual utility of viewing anything other than very simple dashboards on a phone or even a tablet.  I am waiting for Edward to disabuse me of that notion; this notion might do that.

EPM Foundations and Data Management

Monday

Using FDMEE to Move Data Between EPM Applications

Michael Casey , Oracle Corporation
When: Jun 22, 2015, Session 4, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Topic: EPM Foundations and Data Management - Subtopic: Data management/integration
Solve this issue and much of the pain FDMEE causes for traditional ODI developers goes away.

Tuesday

ASO Reporting Automation with ODI

Matthias Heilos , FinTech Innovations
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 8, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Topic: EPM Foundations and Data Management - Subtopic: Other EPM Data Integration
I am a huge fan of Matthias; his work of the highest quality.  Anything, and I mean anything, he does is worth everyone’s time.

Interfaces and Mappings: A Deep Technical Tour of ODI's Workhorses

Jason Jones , Key Performance Ideas
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 9, 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Topic: EPM Foundations and Data Management - Subtopic: Data management/integration
Jason is all kinds of awesome and has helped me numerous times with real computer science concepts and design approaches when my approaches go KABOOM.  Are you smart enough to keep up with Jason?  Do you have the Comp Sci degree I wish I had gotten?  This is your chance really understand the inner workings of ODI.  Don’t worry, Jason is quite good at abstracting complex technical concepts so that even yr. obt. svt. can understand them; as you are amongst the Best and Brightest (you are reading this blog, right?) you will have no difficulty.

Wednesday

Sanitizing Crazy EPM Environments: How We Went from 18 Servers to Just Three

Kieron Cassidy , Infratects b.v.
Co-presenter(s): Joakim Kulan, ISS World Services A/S
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 15, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Topic: EPM Foundations and Data Management - Subtopic: Other EPM Foundations
Infrastructure puzzles me.  Correction, infrastructure terrifies me.  But fewer servers scare me less.

And that’s the end of my sessions

But of course not the end of the conference.  There’s the Community Service day, the Sunday symposiums, the Monday night event, the ACE lunch and learns, the parties Tuesday, the special event Wednesday, and of course the Deep Dives on Thursday.  It is a jam packed weak and if you are not able to attend this year, you owe to yourself and career to do so in 2016.

Be seeing you in Hollywood, Florida!

No comments: