Want to know The Truth About CPM?

22 October 2015

Oracle OpenWorld 2015 live blogging, Tim and Cameron’s most excellent EPM meetup, and my EPM presentation

What am I doing here?

I’m sitting in at the ACE Directors briefing hearing about all sorts of cool stuff.  It is an incredible opportunity to hear about what Oracle will be doing.  Unfortunately I’m not at liberty to share what I’m seeing as I just signed an NDA but rest assured this is a company that knows where it’s going and that destination is exciting.  

As to how I got here, I have no idea why I became this lucky but as Gary Crisci once said, “Never argue with good luck” and I’m not going to.

The bragging is over

The above isn’t really bragging but instead just a way to share with you that (warning, a bit of gushing is about to hit you) Oracle really is geared towards developers.  Essbase (and the rest of the EPM suite) was lucky Oracle saw value in Hyperion.  Hyperion was a great company – and many of the movers and shakers remain today at Oracle --- but I cannot imagine them having the resources or even the vision to try new things like Oracle.  Sometimes big is a really good thing and that’s coming from someone who is a one man shop.  

Live blogging

As in previous years, I’ll be blogging at least once and maybe multiple times per day as the opportunity presents itself.  I’ll also be tweeting.  In short I am social media maven.  Or loser who needs to get a life outside of technology.  Or both.  You decide.

The meetup

As in years past, Tim Tow and I will be hosting an EPM/BI Meetup on Tuesday, 27 October 2015, at the Hyatt Regency Eclipse Lounge.  It starts at 7:00 pm and goes till…whenever they kick us out.  It’s a ton of fun, a great opportunity to network with both your peers as well as Oracle (no promises on the latter, but there’s a good chance) development and product management.    All are welcome.

The presentation

I’ll be presenting on Sunday, 25 October 2015, in Moscone South 302, from 11:00 to 11:45 on “ASO, BSO, or Hybrid:  Which flavor of Essbase should you use?”  Unfortunately, I’m too stupid or lazy to figure out how to link from the OpenWorld schedule builder, but I hope you’ll be able to attend my session as well as all of the User Group sessions.  

On offer there will be:
  • Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition the Oracle Smart View Way [UGF4112] Wayne Van Sluys, 9:00 am
  • Creative Oracle Hyperion Planning Design: With Planning, There Is No Box [UGF7215] Edward Roske, 10:00 am
  • ASO, BSO, or Hybrid: Which Flavor of Oracle Essbase Should You Use? [UGF2145] Yr. Obt. Svt., 11:00 am
  • Oracle Hyperion Profitability and Cost Management for Hyperion Planning/Oracle Essbase Users [UGF9979] Michael Killeen, 12:00 pm
  • Advanced Calculations in Calculation Manager [UGF9983] Ron Moore, 1:30 pm
  • BSO to ASO: Can We? Should We? How Do We? [UGF10834] Sarah Zumbrum, 2:30 pm
  • Aggregate to Transaction Level with Oracle Essbase and Oracle BI Enterprise Edition [UGF9982] Dave Collins, 3:30 pm

As noted, all of these EPM sessions will be in Moscone South, room 302.  There’s no reason to leave the room save for bio breaks and is the most EPM focused segment of OpenWorld.  There’s lots of other content but not in such an nonstop manner.

And that’s it for now

It’ll be an exciting week.  If you’re physically here in San Francisco, I hope you’ll be able to attend the above.  If you’re experiencing OpenWorld from afar, hopefully my seemingly-endless-penchant-for-blathering-on will prove of value.

Be seeing you.

No comments: